29 June 2008

Easily annoyed

So, recently I've realized that I have a lot of complaints about stuff. All kinds if things, really....I think I'm just a malcontent. Regardless, I thought I would make use of this forum to vent my frustrations in a recurring feature I like to call "things that bug the crap out of me".

Our inaugural entry is inspired by watching today's Euro 2008 match. And the offending activity is...ridiculous "trademark" post score celebrations. Uch...

So the dude that scored the goal for Spain is a guy named Fernando Torres. His nickname is "El NiƱo" (The Kid), and his post goal celebration seems to consist of pretending to suck his thumb. I'm sorry, but that is just the stupidest thing ever. And apparently others do it too...

American football players are the worst, in particular Terrell Owens (that guy is just a nightmare in general) and Chad Johnson (who had even gone so far as to secure corporate sponsorship)

I'm all for celebrating your accomplishments. I love a good spontaneous celebration. I love when players run around the pitch doing that airplane thing, or when they form a big dog-pile after a goal. Ditto the Lambeau Leap. But pre-choreographed celebrations are not that. They are not a spontaneous outpouring of joy and jubilation. Choreographed celebrations are by definition calculated and they suck. They say, "the acclaim for scoring a goal or a touchdown or whatever isn't enough for me, I require the additional attention of having people see and talk about my shenanigans or dicky doo dance. Look at me, look at me, buy my endorsed products..."

Oh, and on a tangentially related matter, yea Spain! I'm happy they won. For some reason, I've never cared much for Germany, though Michael Ballack is quite hot...

No comments: