08 June 2008

pointless opinions

You know, I always list stuff I'm perusing over in the reading, watching, listening section (again, part of my little fantasy that someone reads this) but it occured to me that I never say anything about it. So I will now start.

Recent reads:
An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England
Overall it was OK. Hated the ending. Narrator was a bit of a sad sack, which got a little old.

Escape I'm all for religious tolerance, but these Fundamental Latter Day Saints people just ain't right. This is the story of a woman who managed to get out with her 8 children. (Incidentally, this is the same sect from Texas that has been in the news lately, although she got out before they moved to Texas.) Anyway, as expected the woman are treated horribly and everyone seems brainwashed to believe that no matter how miserable you are, you shouldn't complain or question because it's God's plan and if you disagree you will go to hell. Sorry, but my God don't play that way...

Promise not to Tell Good fast read, kind of a combo family drama and ghost story.

I Love You, Beth Cooper I really liked this one. I do love a good all night long teenage misadventure.

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions I didn't really feel like seeing the recent movie, but the book was interesting. reinforced my previously held beliefs that 1. there is really no danger of me getting addicted to gambling (it's briefly entertaining, but I just don't get it) and 2. math is so not my thing.


I'll do movies and music later.

No comments: