So here is a weird thing that happened yesterday. I had to stop by my dentist’s office to pick up a copy of an old bill (blah blah blah, medical reimbursement, whatever). Anyway, the business next door to the dentist is an establishment that seems to offer car window tinting and stereo installation. There were a bunch of dudes standing around a car out back. I guess they had just put a new system in it, and they were trying to test it out. And, the method they chose to employ to do said test was to blast “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)” by Michael Jackson at maximum volume. Now, this seemed odd at the time – that’s really not one of your better MJ tracks (in my opinion), and it’s also one you don’t generally happen across that often (couldn’t tell you the last time I heard it) – but it seems even weirder in retrospect. This was around lunchtime yesterday, which is when the paramedics were just showing up to MJ’s house, so it’s not like the car dudes knew he had kicked and were offering up some sort of parking lot tribute. Although, I do like the concept of that. “Man, did you hear? Michael Jackson is dead!” “No way dude, let’s go blast P.Y.T in the parking lot!”
26 June 2009
25 June 2009
1. How did Spain not score? They spent practically the whole game in the US’s penalty box.
2. That red card was nonsense. Bradley was totally going for the ball.
3. Landon Donovan performed one of the worst dives I have ever seen in my life. He brushed lightly past a Spain player with his shoulder, then randomly fell to the turf writhing like he had been kicked in the face or something. You are a bad actor, dude.
4. I used to totally hate Alexi Lalas, but I like him so much better since he shaved that thing off his face.
5. David-Villa was by far the prettiest thing on that field.
And, when I turned the DVR off, my TV was still on ESPN2 from the night before. They were showing something called Major League Lacrosse. Boston was playing Toronto. Since when do we have a professional lacrosse league?
12 June 2009
- I didn’t want the dude to see that I was taking a picture because, well…awkward.
- I was walking past him on my way out and couldn’t really stop, you know, for reason #1 (and which is the cause of the extreme blurriness. The subject was still, but I was in motion)
- I didn’t bring my bag with me when I ran into the bagel place, so I was trying to snap a photo with my iphone (which is often tricky under ideal conditions) while also trying to hold onto my wallet, my bagel, a side of cream cheese, a cup of diet coke, and my keys
05 June 2009
Dear New Bagel guy,
Words cannot express my joy at arriving at work this morning to discover that the bagel you presented me with had actually been cut into 2 pieces of equal thickness. It was a true pleasure to be able to place my bagel in the office toaster confident in the fact that I would not end up, as I have so many mornings, with one thick, chewy, practically untoasted half and one thin, toasted hard-as-a-hockey-puck half. Thank you so much for you diligence in performing correctly what is essentially the only task required of you. I only wish your crooked-bagel-cutting colleagues would follow your shining example. Keep up the good work. Love, Zil