01 July 2008

7 unrelated things

  1. So there’s this commercial that keeps coming on that feature the song Breed, by Nirvana. I knew it was for a video game, but I thought it was Guitar Hero or Rock Band (which would make sense because it has that cool riff) but it turns out its for a baseball game. Anyway, the point is, I had totally forgotten about the existence of that song until I heard it on the commercial. That song kind of rocks. Nevermind is an album that I had on cassette when it came out (yes, I am old, let’s move on). Since I didn’t have it on CD, it never made it into my iPod, and therefore I have not actually heard that record in a while. It's another one of those holes in the collection necessitating a trip to iTunes. (an aside, this site is cool, it lets you track down songs used in commercials, which is quite a handy resource Actually, I believe my friend Disco Dan had a similar idea at some point…)

    (An addendum, I saw that commercial again last night and actually paid attention to it. I'm usually out of the room or doing something else during the ads and I mostly hear rather than see them. Anyway the commercial is for Guitar Hero for Nintendo DS, at least the one I saw. I knew it had guitars and not baseballs in it. The internet misled me again...)

  2. Did you know the Washington DC Chief of Police is a woman? (Well, I'm sure you did, Rakes...)

  3. I learned all this random stuff about Uma Thurman yesterday including that she was married to Gary Oldman, her father was the first westerner to become a Tibetan Buddhist monk, and her mother is a Swedish model-turned-psychotherapist who was once briefly married to Timothy Leary. And her mother was introduced to Leary by Salvador Dalí. That’s kind of a lot of interesting stuff to stumble upon…

  4. You know, some kind of crazy shit is always going down here in Florida

  5. I’m totally waiting for invisibility to happen. I guess it’s the voyeur in me (and if you followed that link, I was referring more to the second definition…a prying observer who is usually seeking the sordid or the scandalous…and less to the more creepy peeping tom primary one) Of course, invisibility is only cool if you are the only one who has it…

  6. After a lengthy string of second place finishes, we finally won at trivia last night. Whoo hoo!

  7. So this happened a little while ago, but I forgot to mention it. There is a pitcher who plays for the Yankees named Chien-Ming Wang, who hurt his foot recently and had to go on the disabled list. It was like a perfect storm for headline writers: Yankees always gets abbreviated to Yanks and when someone is on the DL, they are described as being “out” (as in out of the line-up), and the dude’s name is Wang. So every single headline included the phrase “Yanks Wang out”. (This is my favorite, because it makes it sound like the yanking resulted in crutches. Also, it’s on a site called ballhype…Yes, I am 12 years old…)

1 comment:

That Hank said...

The Army Corps of Engineers has done more damage to Florida than I can even document. But, that being said, I always have to find it a little funny when something happens to discomfort an overpriced suburban area.