21 December 2007

I do love a good end of the year top 100 list


Has anyone else been watching VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 1990's? That shit is an addictive trip down memory lane. It's also weird because I tend to get the late 80's and early 90's jumbled together in my head, musically speaking. So for a number of these songs, I'm like "dude, that came out in the 90's?" Like I'm Too Sexy. And Ice Ice Baby? And Gonna Make You Sweat? They just have such an 80's feel about them. Ditto Jump Jump. That is wiggity wiggity wiggit wack. (Although I prefer Warm it Up.) {an aside, what on earth did we do before youtube?}

Also, we've made it all the way to the top 20 and...no Nirvana songs? However you feel about them, that was the band of the 90's. I'm assuming Smells Like Teen Spirit will be #1 (the episode counting down numbers 20-1 airs tonight), but nothing else? Also, no Brittney yet. 1998 brought us Baby One More Time. You know that is in there somewhere...top 5 for sure. Alas, 100 songs is not very many when you're talking about 10 years.

Anyway, it's a fun countdown, and entertaining to have all the above mixed in with Dr. Dre and Christina Aguilera and Eminem and *nsync. Quite a random assortment we had in the 90's.

No comments: